Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sabbatical Week... and other news

x
Well... Sabbatical week is here already, and I got into the "Problem Solving using Java" course. It is the second day of the course. On the last three days, ie - Wednesday to Friday, the course will be held at SMU (Singapore Management University). To be more precise, it is being held at SIS (School of Information Sciences) in SMU. The course is actually pretty fun!! Java Programming is a bit difficult, but you can do some pretty fun things on it too. I learnt how to create a infinite loop - the program runs til stopped. Also, I learnt some Command Prompt Commands, to add on to those I already knew.


  1. shutdown - Shuts Down the computer, Restarts or logs off. Syntax - shutdown -s (seconds) -t (time) (time in seconds) shutdown -a to Abort shutdown
  2. exit - Exits the command prompt window. Syntax - exit
  3. dir - Directory - Gives a list of the files in a selected directory. Syntax - dir
  4. md - Make Directory - Makes a new file in a selected directory. Syntax - md (New Directory Name) e.g md ps - A new file named ps will be created in the selected location
  5. cd - Change directory - Changes the reference location. Syntax- cd c:/ (To go to hard drive)
  6. java - (Only works after Java Development Kit has been installed and Computer Path has been changed) Runs a class file (created by notepad). Syntax - java MyProgram - Will run "MyProgram"
  7. javac (Only works after Java Development Kit has been installed and Computer Path has been changed) Compiles a *.java file into a *.class file, which can be run with Command Prompt. Syntax- javac MyProgram.java - Compiles MyProgram into a usable class file. 
Other commands which I knew before the course:

  1. ipconfig - Will find the ip address and other network information about a computer. Syntax - ipconfig
  2. ping - Test Internet connections -Syntax- ping (ip address) or (website address)
  3. tracert - Traceroute - Tracks the steps taken to a website. - Syntax - tracert (ip address) or (website address)
Note: For all the commands which require additional info - ping, tracert, javac, java and shutdown, typing the command by itself will bring up "help" for the command. 

Other News: 


Holidays!!

I can't wait for June Holidays to be here, and I expect most students will share my sentiments! A Month of hard earned rest is on the way... but we have to wait two weeks more :p. Anyway, I am going to buy Pokémon Soulsilver - The remake of Pokemon Silver. I am thrilled! Pokemon Crystal was the first pokemon game that I played. Of Course, judging by the fact that my mom doesn't like me playing it (she locks it up the whole year, except June and December Hols), she probably wished I never started... XD But anyway, I'm also looking forward to getting a DSi, which has not one, but two cameras, and a SD Card slot! Yay! But it has not GBA Port, so it is not compatible with GBA Games. However, I have a DS Lite which is compatible with GBA Games, so it shouldn't be a problem. 

P.S, While I wait for Soulsilver, I got a Pokemon Crystal Emulator on my Phone, so I'm honing my skills... (My Starter will be Totodile)

Piano Results...

Well, I finally got back the results for my ABRSM Grade 5 Theory... I got 85/100, which is Pass with Merit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment