Friday, February 5, 2010

Flowers for Algernon (fictional) interview

We were meant to complete an assignment -- Issues in Flowers for Algernon and post it on our blogs. I chose the linguistic activity since I like writing. I had to write a fictional interview with Miss Kinnian, who was close to Charlie Gordon, the main subject of the story. For those who have not read the story, Flowers for Algernon is about a mentally challenged man who undergoes an experimental surgery to triple his IQ. The story focuses on Charlie's relationship with his co-workers and close friends. The story gets its name from a lab rat which underwent the same operation. The rat was called Algernon. The (fictional)interview transcript can be found below:

Interview transcript with Miss Kinnian regarding the Algernon-Gordon experiment

This interview was carried out with Miss Kinnian, who was Charlie Gordon’s teacher at a Adult Centre. She recommended him for the experiment to increase intelligence levels by almost three times. Charlie Gordon eventually reached the peak of his intelligence before regressing rapidly. At his peak, he had an IQ of roughly 185, much greater than his original IQ of 65. He wrote the famous thesis on the Algernon-Gordon Effect, when he reached the peak of his intelligence, (Refer to Page 56 ) which is now being studied all over the world in many prestigious universities. After he regressed, he disappeared. His current whereabouts are unknown.

How were you involved in the Algernon-Gordon experiment?

I was Charlie’s teacher at the adult centre. I was among the many teachers at various adult centres who were contacted to recommend someone from our class for the experiment. I decided to recommend Charlie Gordon as he fit the criteria; he was hardworking and he was very enthusiastic about learning to read and write.
I was told that the experiment could triple his intelligence, but it may be a temporary increase. I informed Charlie of this opportunity and after receiving his consent, I forwarded his personal details to the scientists in charge, Dr Strauss and Dr Nemur.
After the operation, I went to the laboratory to teach him personally. I started to teach him spelling, reading and punctuation. His progress was very quick after the operation. He started to learn the rules of punctuation and proper spelling quickly. He started to become a very quick reader and he developed a very accurate memory.

What can you tell us about how Charlie behaved before and after the operation?

As he started to progress in terms of intelligence, we could no longer relate to each other. During one such incident, he invited me to dinner, but we had nothing in common to talk about. I did not see him often after that, but I soon learnt from Dr Strauss that his intelligence was deteriorating quickly.
I went to visit him at the boarding house he stayed in, but he refused to talk to me. I was deeply saddened by his refusal to talk to me. I paid his rent, for he owed the landlady two months of rent, before leaving. I had gone back to the adult centre when Charlie walked in one night. On seeing him, I broke out into tears, because I did not realize the extent of his regression. I have not seen him since, and to this day, I do not know where he went.


Did you have any regrets about recommending Charlie for this experiment?

Well, Yes and No. I understood the risks of the experiment, and I was well aware that he might regress back to his original state. However, I ignored my doubts and I still recommended him for the experiment. Although I knew the risks of the experiment, I still felt very hurt and sorrowful when I saw how he had reverted back to his original state.
I am very motivated to try and enrich the lives of these mentally challenged adults. I feel disappointed that many people do not pay attention to them, or worse, laugh at them. These people are just like us, except that they do not possess the same mental capacity. They have feelings too.
I wished that Charlie could bring about a way to help these people, or even if he could not, he could at least raise awareness of the difficulties they face. I am glad that he managed to do so. Hopefully, maybe the surgical technique used by the doctors will be available to other mentally challenged people.

(Note: I used the novella for the interview, rather than the novel)
(The interview was also written as if a science journal was interviewing her.)

No comments:

Post a Comment